In this document, page numbers refer to the green Tefillot, unless stated otherwise. In case there are two numbers, the second refers to the second number refers to the Koren Chumash for KKTT Amsterdam. Other books referred to are the Moadim and the Rosh Hashanah book.
A printable version of the total topic can be downloaded.
1. In years that there is only one Adar, all dates of Adar II move to the single Adar. In a leap with two months of Adar, the remembrance date of the death of a relative (“yahrzeit”, nahala) is kept in Adar I . In contrast, a bar mitswa will be celebrated in Adar II (DZB)
2. In a leap year, when announcing the first Adar, the word ראשון is not added, but the second Adar is announced as אדר שני.
3. In a leap year on 14 & 15 Adar I no Techinot are said in the morning and in the afternoon.
In a leap year
starting 14 Adar I and in a regular year starting 1 Adar, at the end of
the weekdays Shacharit, the “עץ חיים” lines (tefillot,
page 225) are replaced by three verses from Megilat Esther. The chazzan start with “איש
יהודי”, followed by "ומרדכי
יצא" and ending with “ליהודים
היתה”. All Avelim (mourners) say Kaddish.
6. The “four parashiot” – ארבע פרשיות
a. Two sefarim are used, with קדיש after both.
b. שקלים before or on 1 Adar. If this Shabbat is also Rosh Chodesh, 3 sefarim are used, six are read from the first sefer, the משלים is read from the 2nd sefer (וביום השבת) and the מפטיר from the 3rd (שקלים). קדיש is said after the 2nd and the 3rd sefer. In this case the Haftarh is followed by the first and last line of “השמים כסאי”.
זכור before Purim. Friday night
the Kaddish is sung. In the morning, before נשמת the מי
כמוך is recited, the chazzan repeats each last
1. This fast is not announced on the previous Shabbat.
2. For prayers on the Fast of Esther, see pages on Public Fasts
3. If Purim is on Sunday, the fast is on Thursday and the service is as any other Public Fasts. On this Shabbat, צדקתך is not said
4. In the past, the Machatzit hashekel was added to the membership fee, which was collected in this period of the year. Now that membership fee is collected in January, Machatzit hashekel must be given. Mind this is on top of the 3 Tassas collection done one ach fast after mincha.
1. Unless Purim is on Sunday, Arvit starts about 35minutes before night and the reading of the Megila about 20 minute before night, so we read the words בלילה ההוא at night time (צאת הכוכבים).
2. For prayers Purim evening, see pages on Minor Festivals
3. In the evening before the עמידה the chazzan reminds to say יעלה ויבא “Diraõ Vosses na Amidah o verso de Al Hanisim, por los Milahgros” (You will say in the Amidah her verse of Al Hanisim, for the Miracles).
4. In the evening psalm 121 (page 100) שיר למעלות אשא עיני is replaced by psalm 124 (page 32) שיר המעלות לדוד לולי.
5. Reading of the Megila:
a. We listen to the Megila in silence . We dot make noises e.g. when the name “Haman” is read.
b. We have the minhag (custom) that each congregant has a real megila (parchment). Nowadays unfortunately, only few have a real megila.
c. When the Chazzan reads the words ויאמר חרבונה he stops and the congregants say זכור לטוב, after which the chazzan continues אחד מן הסריסים (chapter 7, verse 9).
d. The following lines are read by the congregants and repeated by the Chazzan:
i. chapter 2 verse 5: איש יהודי
ii. chapter 6 verse 1: בלילה ההוא
iii. chapter 8 verse 15: ומרדכי יצא
iv. chapter 8 verse 16: ליהודים היתה
v. chapter 10 verse 3: כי מרדכי
6. Prayers Purim morning are as usual without Techinot, adding על הנסים. The Torah reading is ויבא עמלק, where the last line is repeated . After the reading אשרי (only) and returning the Sefer. Then the Megila is read with two berachot, followed by ובא לציון, followed by קדיש תתקבל and psalm 22 (page 181) למנצח על אילת השחרand קדיש יתום then קוה אל etc as on Shabbat.
1. In the evening, למנצח על אילת השחר replaces psalm 121 (page 100) שיר למעלות אשא עני and if it is Friday night, it replaces psalm 32 (page 120) מזמור לדוד ה' רועי. In this case, קדיש and קדושה are sung because of שושן פורים.
2. On the day of Shushan Purim Techinot are not recited.
3. In the morning after קדיש תתקבל (page 74) psalm 22 (page 181) למנצח על אילת השחר is recited. If there is Torah reading, this psalm is read by the chazzan when returning the Sefer, in front of the Hechal.In the afternoon, psalm 67 (page 85) למנצח בנגינות מזמור שיר is replaced by psalm 124 שיר המעלות לולי.
 Cardozo opposite page 19 & DZB
 We have the opinion that hearing פרשת פרה is also an obligation.
: See בית יוסף
 We have no real melody for the Megila based on cantillations, but a traditional melodically story-telling way.
 Like most Sephardim we don’t read less than 9 verses, even if it is a complete topic. Therefore we repeat the last verse, getting from 9 to 10 verses.
© Copyright JBS, 2005-2021; The information on this website may be used for non profit purposes.